CATAAlliance Celebrates Leadership for the 21st Century: The Social CEO and Other Highlights from the 28th Annual CATAAlliance Innovation Awards Gala
June 12, 2013
June 12, 2013
– The 2013 Award Winners were announced the evening of May 29th at a sold out Gala Dinner featuring a keynote address from Peter Aceto, CEO, ING Direct Canada. Keeping-up with the theme of the Gala, Leadership for the 21st Century, and following the guidance of Peter "the Social CEO" Aceto, the winners were announced via Twitter. For nearly three decades, the CATAAlliance Innovation Awards Gala has been celebrating the best in Canadian advanced technology from coast to coast and this year certainly did not disappoint!
CATAAlliance will continue to recognize the talent of this year’s Award Winners over the summer months and into the Fall to bring awareness to new, upcoming, and trending Canadian technology companies and organizations. Winners were provided the opportunity to showcase their keys to success and innovation through a series of leadership videos produced by Keshet Technologies. The first video in this series is set to debut the end of June.
Photo credit: Kate Voltan
(Front-row left – right): Nancy Flam, Nova Scotia Department of Economic Development and Rural Tourism; Sarah Sajedi, ERA Environmental Solutions Management; Jean-François Ferland, Direction informatique.
(Back-row left – right): Raja Tuli, DataWind; Dave Bellous, Yellow Pencil; Sylvain Rollin, ERMS Corp.; Chris Devadason, MPAC; Jason Flick, YOUi Labs; Eli Fathi, Fluidware Corp.; Patrick McGuire, Vana Workforce; Charles Varvarikos, RBC; and John Reid, CATAAlliance.
One of the many highlights of the Gala included an entertaining keynote address from Peter Aceto, CEO, ING Direct Canada, on the importance of the "social" CEO. His keynote address was followed by a panel discussion on Leadership for the 21st Century including panelists: Mayor Brenda Halloran, City of Waterloo, and Victoria Lennox, co-Founder, Startup Canada.
During the Awards Gala, winners were presented with awards in the following areas:
- Telfer School of Management Award for Private Sector Leadership in Advanced Technology
Winner: Eli Fathi – co-CEO and co-Founder, Fluidware Corp.
Finalists recognized in this category also include: Mike McDerment - CEO, FreshBooks and Tobias Lütke - CEO, Shopify
- Wilfrid Laurier University Award for Public Sector Leadership in Advanced Technology
Winner: Nancy Flam - Project Director and Senior Policy Analyst, Nova Scotia Department of Economic Development and Rural Tourism
Finalists recognized in this category also include: Fariba Anderson – CIO, Municipal Property Assessment Corporation, Anne Sado – President, George Brown College, and Rob Meikle – CIO, City of Toronto
- Motorola Solutions Canada Award for Public Safety Technology
Winner: ERMS Corporation
Finalists recognized in this category also include: In Motion Technology and F2 Face Forensics
- Intel SME Innovation Award
Recipient: YOUi Labs
- Peter Brojde Award for Canada's Next Generation Executive Leadership
Winner: Michael Litt – CEO, Vidyard
Finalists recognized in this category also include: Steven Fitzgerald, President and co-Founder, Habanero, and Jevon MacDonald, CEO and co-Founder, GoInstant
- ICTC Information Technology HR Strategic Leadership Award
Winner: Vana Workforce
Finalists recognized in this category also include: Visier and Vidcruiter
- McCague Borlack Award for Outstanding Product Achievement
Finalists recognized in this category also include: FleetMind Solutions, Webtech Wireless Inc., YOUi Labs
- Celestica Award for Technology Commercialization
Recipient: Corvus Energy
- CAMSC Corporate Advocacy Award
Recipient: Charles Varvarikos, RBC
- Ernst and Young Sara Kirke Award for Woman Entrepreneurship
Winner: Sarah Sajedi – CEO, ERA Environmental Management Solutions
Finalists recognized in this category also include: Dr. Laurelle Jno Baptiste, COO and co-Founder, ScholarLab, and Katherine Hague, co-Founder, ShopLocket
- National Public Relations Prix de l'innovation pour l'Excellence dans le journalisme scientifique et technique medias/Excellence in Science and Technology Reporting Award
Recipient: Jean-François Ferland – Direction informatique
- Salesforce.com Cloud Computing Innovation Award
Winners: Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) and Yellow Pencil
Finalists recognized in this category also include: Acrodex and DataGardens
Background on this year’s Winners and Finalists in each category can be found at:
"This was one of the best Gala’s yet! There was such a positive buzz in the room, a mix of competitive spirit and camaraderie supporting the best in Canadian innovation," says John Reid, President and CEO, CATAAlliance
. "Our Award winners and finalists have each demonstrated significant leadership as role models for the development of commercially successful enterprises in Canada. CATA is proud to act as an advocate for them, to share their stories, and to provide a platform of programs and services to assist in fostering their growth," says John Reid
, CATA President.
The 28th Annual CATAAlliance
Innovation Awards Gala was supported this year by the following corporate sponsors: