January 25, 2018
Chief Executive Officer – Alberta Machine Intelligence Institute, a CATA Partnered Job Search
The Alberta Machine Intelligence Institute (Amii) is one of the top ranked Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning research institutes in the world and a member of the Pan-Canadian AI Strategy launched by the Government of Canada in early 2017. As part of this federal priority push, Amii plays a major role in reinforcing Canada’s place as a world-leading destination for companies seeking to invest in artificial intelligence and innovation.
Amii is now searching for a founding CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER, reporting to a Board of Directors as part of an executive leadership team, consisting of the following direct reports: CFO, CTO, VP Business Development, and VP Marketing. Location: Edmonton, Alberta.
Interested Candidates should send their resume to CATA CEO, John Reid at firstname.lastname@example.org who will then advance to Amii.
As it transitions from a university based institute, to a new, independent not-for-profit entity, Amii is expected to be the catalyst for building an AI ecosystem in Edmonton and Alberta as well as developing and attracting the world’s best AI experts. With strong support already in place via the University of Alberta, provincial and federal governments, and numerous private sector partners, Amii is seeking a determined and visionary leader – a CEO for the vanguard of innovation and acceleration.
As the founding Chief Executive Officer of Amii, you will report to an accomplished Board and infuse the organization with an aspirational ethos. Leader and catalyst, you will ensure the Institute delivers a foundation of world-leading AI research that is as impactful to the Alberta economy as AI will be to the world.
You are experienced leading a complex, multi-disciplinary and knowledge-intensive organization with multiple stakeholders. With a knowledge of the AI research and discovery sciences you are excited by the commercial potential and willing to undertake the business initiatives to bring substantial and meaningful business to the Province of Alberta. Specifically, the successful candidate will be responsible for:
- crafting strategic and operational plans that will deepen the pool of expert AI talent through training and attraction;
- developing a seamless research and commercialization platform;
- partnering with world-leading researchers in other universities;
- facilitating a thriving AI startup ecosystem with a focus on partnering with industry to diversify Alberta’s economy; and
- building a support structure, including a high-performing executive leadership team, that is as nimble and responsive as you are.
FIRST YEAR DELIVERABLES / MEASURES OF SUCCESS
Success in the first year will be determined by the candidate’s ability to:
- Increase public awareness of the benefits of machine learning in supporting business & enabling scientific discovery and generally raising awareness of Amii;
- Successfully build relationships with Amii’s major stakeholders including funders, industry partners, investors, and researchers;
- Facilitate the creation of CIFAR Chair positions in the area of Machine Learning at the University of Alberta;
- Recruit Postdoctoral Fellows in Machine Learning; and
- Make measurable progress in building an ecosystem to support ongoing AI development in Alberta including the creation of a start-up culture, and the attraction of additional corporate Machine Learning labs.
The successful candidate will have the following:
- Minimum 10 years of experience in the C-suite of technology-focused organizations, including those in start-up phase;
- Demonstrated success in leading significant growth or organizational change resulting in a high-performance organization;
- In depth understanding of technology commercialization, early stage research & development, and access to capital;
- Extensive experience in visionary leadership;
- A track-record of successful partnership with public and private sector stakeholders and strategic partners; and
- Experience working collaboratively with leaders and policy makers at the local, provincial, and federal levels to coordinate and secure funding and support.
COMPETENCIES & ATTRIBUTES:
- Tireless, enthusiastic, and disciplined, you thrive amongst high performers, driven by their inspiration as they are inspired by your drive;
- Demonstrated entrepreneurial acumen with the capacity to seek and secure opportunities;
- Manages ambiguity with ease and can operate effectively with few defined boundaries or structure;
- Exceptional communication skills utilizing multiple media with the aptitude to deliver an appropriate message to diverse audiences and stakeholder groups;
- Superior relationship-builder with an authentic and influencing style that allows others to see the alignment of interests; and
- Leadership style that is supportive of talent in achieving results and supports the development of increased organizational capacity.
An excellent compensation package awaits the successful candidate.
Interact with your Innovation Peer Group Now
The Canadian Advanced Technology Alliance (CATAAlliance) is Canada’s One Voice for Innovation Lobby Group, and is crowdsourcing ideas and guidance from thousands of opt in members in moderated social networks in Canada and key global markets. (No Tech Firm Left Behind)
Support CATA Advocacy Today through Crowdfunding
Contact: CATAAlliance at email@example.com, tel: 613-699-8209, website: www.cata.ca, tags: Innovation. Leadership, Entrepreneurship, Advocacy