FirstLink Seeks First Responder Technology Collaborations (U.S. Market Opportunities)
- Collaboration opportunities with FirstLink
- For Canadian Advanced technology enterprises, academia and government
- Targeting First Responder technologies and services
- Respond by: August 15, 2007
Phone: (613) 236-6550
Call to Action:
Confirm your interest in Doing Business with FirstLink by email to Muriel Debroy
Ottawa, July 7, 2007... FirstLink wishes to identify innovative Canadian organizations developing technologies and capabilities which are a strategic match with its First Responder technology priorities.
FirstLink was established as the first Department of Defense (DoD) Technology Transfer and Commercialization National Center of Excellence for First Responder Technologies through a Partnership Intermediary Agreement with the United States Department of Defense Office of Technology Transition and the Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL)..
Its mission is to increase the rate at which first responder technologies are commercialized and transferred to the market place, where they can be made available to US first responders through US manufacturers and small businesses. FirstLink supports the transition of technology from DoD laboratories to market by conducting initial technical reviews, market analysis, and identification of potential industry or private sector partners. Additional information is available at:
In the U.S. there are nearly three million federal, state, and local first responders – fire fighters, law enforcement personnel, and emergency medical teams. Their role includes not only providing basic safety to citizens, but also securing our nation’s home front. Their need for the best technologies and equipment is even more critical than ever.
Background on the Canadian First Responder market is now available in a CATA Interim Research Report entitled “Keeping Canadians Safe: A Technology, Research and Development, and Emergency Preparedness Situational Analysis of Canadian First Responders". Members can request their copy from firstname.lastname@example.org
Technology Priorities List:
Through partnerships, FirstLink facilitates the creation, transfer and commercialization of technologies in the following functional areas as they relate to natural disasters, crime, and terrorism; Prevent, • Prepare,• Respond, • Recover, • Mitigate, • Fire, • Medical, • HazMat, • Law Enforcement ,• Command and Control, •and Intelligence. The goal is to help protect and save the lives of those who protect and save our lives. In terms of looking at technologies from Canada, areas of interest and priority include:
Inter-jurisdictional Communications(Voice, Data, Video); Use of the Incident Command System (ICS); Detection - Chemical / Biological Sensors – Analysis; Planning and Coordination at all Levels of Govt./Regional; ICS Training and Exercises; Conduct Multi-jurisdictional Exercises; Incident Access Control System; Personnel Tracking(Command and Control, Rescue); Greater Range of Wireless; Communications Tools, Including: Palm Pilots, Portable Radios, Cell Phones, and Laptops; Distance Learning for ICS Training and Simulation; Command Post/EOC Upgrades-voice & Data / Communication Links; Integration and Access of Databases During Critical Incidents; Pre-determined Disaster Plan; Critical Infrastructure Protection Plans - Technical Assistance; Intelligence and Information Sharing on Potential Threats; Body Protection From All Hazards; Surveillance Equipment; Inter-disciplinary Planning (include NG) - All Hazards Response; Risk Awareness and Assessment; and Ensembles for Biological Threats and Incidents
Qualification of Interests:
- Review FirstLink Technology Focus List (see above) and determine your organization's area of interest.
- Ensure that your organization has relevant published scientific papers, presentations and/or patents that can be reviewed by the FirstLink's evaluation team.
- Ensure your corporation is Controlled Goods Certified or be willing to become controlled Goods Certified before entering into business arrangements with FirstLink.
- Contact CATAAlliance with your expression of interest, providing key contact and background information. Your organization will then be provided with a simple template for completion.
- Confirm your CATA membership status. Processing fees may apply.
- All expressions of interest must be submitted by August 15, 2007, 17:00 EST by email to Muriel Debroy.
- FirstLink will review information from selected candidates to determine which areas are of specific interest for future follow-up.
- FirstLink will coordinate internally to make sure that each selected Canadian company would be able to meet with the appropriate Director. Follow-up could take several forms including teleconference, videoconferences and site visits to determine the appropriate vehicle for collaboration.
CATAAlliance is working in partnership with International Trade Canada and the Consulate General of Canada in Buffalo to provide this technology partnering opportunity to appropriate contacts in Canada.