Advanced Security, Public Safety & Interoperability Updates from the desk of Kevin Wennekes, CATA's VP of Research.
May 20, 2011
As per usual, here are few important updates and announcements for you.
Public Safety and Security Winners at last night’s CATA Gala Awards
A very big congratulations to some of our CATA Gala Award Winners. Highlights of the public safety and security related winners you might know include:
· Steve Palmer, Executive Director, Canadian Police Research Centre
won the Open Text Award for Public Sector Leadership in Advanced Technology
· Optosecurity Inc
. – advanced liquid and firearm threat technologies - won the Motorola Award for Public Safety Technology
· IntelliView Technologies Inc
. – smart video surveillance technologies - won the Celestica Award for Technology Commercialization
· IDEAL LIFE Inc
. – remote health/wellness monitoring technologies – won the Wellington West Award for Outstanding Product Achievement (ICT/Health/Clean Tech)
And kudos and recognition to CATA member Cynthia Weeden of FutureShield Inc.
who was nominated for the Canadian Women in Technology (CanWIT) Sara Kirke Award for Woman Entrepreneurship. I understand it was a very tough call in choosing this year’s winner, but anticipate we will one day be announcing her as the winner of this esteemed award!
Congratulations to all the CATA award winners
Tri-Services Technology Capability Assessment (TTCA) – First Responders Needed!
We recently held the Steering Committee Launch Session
for this critical initiative.
While we enjoy significant knowledge, experience and expertise among our committee members, we will require the assistance of a large number of Fire, Police and EMS personnel to assist in the validation of their work. This will involve, in part: reviewing and enhancing the list of technologies selected for assessment; participating in a number of national Teleforum calls discussing the final list and outreach methodology; validating the assessment questionnaire; pilot testing the online assessment.
If you are a First Responder (volunteer Fire responders included) and would like to be involved in any of the validation steps identified above, please send me an email with a subject line “TTCA Volunteer” informing me of such. Please share with your colleagues as well.
For my industry friends, with respect to the significant interest I have been receiving from you on this initiative, there is no active role for you in this study: instead your benefit will be the anticipated intelligence we aim to share with you at its successful conclusion slated for end of this year.
Thanks again to our Steering Committee for a productive launch session – we would like to recognize this group as they have and will be contributing significantly to this project throughout its duration. They include:
· Andy Olesen Halton Regional Police Service
· Brent Winchcombe Ottawa Paramedic Service
· Dan Elliott Toronto Pearson International Airport
· David Buckle Western Health
· Donald Warden Canadian Association of Fire Chiefs
· Eldon Amoroso London Police Service
· Gregory Richards University of Ottawa
· James Brown Toronto Police Service
· John Evans Canadian Police Research Centre
· Kelly Nash EMS Chiefs of Canada
· Ken McMullen Rocky View County Fire Service
· Ken Stuebing Winnipeg Fire Paramedic Service
· Kent Riddle Alberta Health Services
· Dana Pitts Sarnia Fire Rescue Services
· Peter Cuthbert Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police
· Richard Finn RT Communications
· Sean Auld Halifax Regional Police
· Steve Goodine London Police Service
· Steven Young Edmonton Police Service
4th Annual First Responder Vendor Outreach Forum – Vancouver
We are pleased to announce the addition of three new speakers to the Forum, including:
· RCMP CTO Michael Doucet
will be making a repeat performance at this year’s Forum, continuing his leadership role in our Halifax Forum
· RCMP Inspector Dennis Crowe
, OIC Operational Readiness and Response, E Division Support Services
· Rene Bernklau
, Provincial Coordinator Hazardous Substance Response, BC Ambulance
For this unique ‘Dragon’s Den’ trade show, we are still recruiting First Responders as our ‘Investors’ for the Executive Boardroom sessions, as well as having sponsorship positions available for our ‘inventors’ among the private sector firms. For any local B.C. First Responders interested in attending (no cost), please contact our representative on the ground, Superintendent Pascal Rodier of the BCAS at Pascal.Rodier@gov.bc.ca
or me directly.
For more information, including how to obtain one of these exclusive Boardrooms, please visit: http://www.cata.ca/Media_and_Events/FR_VOF/BC/
RFP Opportunity! Rural Connections Broadband Network
The Region of Durham has issued the RFP for a technical communications consultant to support their radio replacement project. The successful bidder will be working closely with Lansdowne Technologies Inc. in Durham over the balance of the project (June thru mid 2014).
The RFP has been published on the Region’s web site under Current Bidding Opportunities: http://www.durham.ca/finance.asp?nr=div&app=bidopps
There is also a listing on Biddingo at:
Quick Notes on Other Related Topics
· Welcome to CATA’s newest Public Safety and Security Member, Airwave Solutions! http://www.airwavesolutions.net/
· With the election now over (was that a wild one or what!?), discussions can now resume with Industry Canada and others on getting the First Responder Technology Roadmap started. Expect a detailed update in my next communiqué. Or email me now for more detailed information and how you can participate
· We are looking for funding to help send a delegation of First Responders to China in November! We have a senior delegation on stand-by, and are looking for funding through various means: corporate sponsorship, government funding, Foundational or Grant funding. Please contact us to self-identify your interest in supporting this mission, or recommending funding sources.
· Are you an Ottawa region small to medium enterprise with an eye on China? Join us on May 26 at the SME Strategies for Business in Asia – Leveraging Hong Kong. More details here: http://national.hkcba.com/ottawa_event.html
· Canadian Advanced Security Sector Report Now Available for download: http://cataalliance.ca/ecommerce/index.php?main_page=product_info&cpath=20&products_id=114
While we could add a number of other topics – such as upcoming studies on the economics of interoperability, identifying successful commercialization practices, and high performance computing in Canada and a TSX Access to Capital forum – we will save these for the next update. Of course, feel free to contact me directly if you would like more immediate information on these, or any other interests.
PS – Join CATA! Our non-profit relies on our members to further our mandate. This can be done online at: http://www.cata.ca/About_Cata/membershipform.html
- or contact us directly to learn more about our special rate for companies seeking to join in support of our public safety initiatives: up to 50% off our regular fees in some instances.
CATAResearch - Feeding minds... and bottom lines. Grow both through us! http://www.cata.ca/research
Subscribe to CATAResearch Repository today – immediate access to hundreds of reports! http://cataalliance.ca/ecommerce/
Join our LinkedIn Groups
CATAAlliance - http://www.linkedin.com/groups?mostPopular=&gid=37239
First Responder Vendor Outreach Forum - http://www.linkedin.com/groupRegistration?gid=3152184
VP, Research, CATAAlliance
w - (613) 236-6550 ext. 3
c - (613) 769-8614
f - (866) 274-8189