Read: Canadian High-Tech Exports to Commonwealth - Focus at Euro-Conference
Recognizing that the Commonwealth's 53 member countries account for 30% of the world's population, 40 percent of WTO (World Trade Organization) membership and about 25% of international trade and investment, the Commonwealth Advantage and CATAAlliance have united to increase Canada's level of economic development, create new trade opportunities and strengthen ties with Commonwealth nations.
It is estimated that it is 10-15% cheaper for Commonwealth businesses to do business in another Commonwealth country because of such factors as common legal and accounting systems and generally reduced barriers of entry, inclusive of common language.
The main aims of the partnership are:
- Global Transformation: Establishing within the Commonwealth a new surge of recognition for the value of the Commonwealth as more than an alliance of nations, but as a new structure within today's globalization environment -- a state unto itself, composed of many parts
- Trade Ties: Seeking out immediate and long-term strategic trade alliance opportunities for Commonwealth members, emphasizing the high-tech industry sectors;
- Commerce: Building specific business-to-business deals and contracts between Canadian firms and Commonwealth firms;
- Government Support: Advocating with the federal, provincial and municipal governments to create the financial support and legislative priority appropriate for the enormous opportunities involved;
- Awareness: Branding the CA among business, academic and public sector leaders as one of Canada's most vital untapped prospects for growth;
- Social Mobility: Creating a set of common labour standards for technical and academic jobs to enhance the flow of Knowledge Workers within the Commonwealth; and
- Branding: Branding Canada within the Commonwealth as the key country for individual national growth.
The Commonwealth Advantage united with CATAAlliance, Canada's largest high tech trade association, to 'amplify' its advocacy messages through a public affairs lobby that is generally acknowledged to be the best in its sector" and to benefit from CATA's platform of services and resources.
Barry Gander, Executive Director, Commonwealth Advantage at 613-220-1368 or email@example.com or the CATAAlliance office at 613-236-6550.