|Charles bring 30 years of senior level leadership experience, taking a strategy to something that can be delivered and operationalized. His focus is in technology transformation and he is a trusted advisor, board member and coach. He assumes the role of CATA’s Chief Digital Officer (CDO).
As executive lead on major initiatives, Charles leads or assists from the idea stage to the strategy and oversees the set up through transformation and implementation of today’s disruptive technologies, and the business change they bring about. Charles is able to cut through vendor hype to achieve a realistic grasp of what is possible. His transformation experience spans: infrastructure; secret networks; the “cloud”; offsite and partnering technology; and true records management.
Charles has brought together many major transformational programs and has helped organizations with:
- Technology transformation
- Applying advanced technology and working with new technology companies
- Reducing complex issues into readily understandable terms and actionable plans
- New technology migration and proper integration (what the vendors don’t tell you)
- What to migrate and what not to
- Cloud and infrastructure made simple (past the promises)
- Application portfolio consolidation
- Vendor relationship
- Leadership and strategic vision to achieve transformation business goals
- Real records management
- Client partnering for new solutions
- Held roles in the federal government at the executive level and in both large international and publically traded companies, and in local startups.
- CIO in residence management team member for CATA (Canadian Advanced Technology Alliance ) – currently leading IT transformation consulting and advocacy
- Former: CIO, City of Ottawa; CIO, Abbott Laboratory and General Electric; VP/GM, Alcatel; executive Government of Canada
- Executive interchange with Shared Services Canada where he led the division responsible for development the Government of Canada’s current secret network. Implemented the GCDOC records management system.
- — Large, multinational operations locations
- — Responsible for a $700 million multi-national business unit spanning offices in Belgium, France, and the USA
- Government of Canada leadership roles at Department of Justice, Office of the Auditor General of Canada, Revenue Canada, and Transport Canada
Achievements and Activities
Chaired: The Canadian Executive Development Series Advisory Board; and, inter-governmental committees with DND, CSEC, PS, TB, PCO, SSC, and PWGSC
Advisor to: Invest Ottawa; nTerop (local startup); Canadian Advanced Technology Alliance; and advanced technology companies dealing with smart city, automated vehicles, drones, case management, space technologies, emergency services integrating and applying new technology
Mergers and acquisitions: Leadership in mergers and acquisitions of several companies and Government departments
- Two time Gold Medal recipient of the GTEC Excellence in Management award (1996, 2011)
- Alcatel Top Performer and Retention Award
- Nortel Leadership Merit Award
- Department of Justice Leadership Merit Award